Keeping track!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, May 29, 2009

Stewed Pork / Dongpo Rou

Hello Hello!

Today….it was a great day. I slept ard 5pm last night..so i woke up at 2am. Then…at 930am, me and fish walked over to macdonalds for breakfast. After that, we went to the butchery.

I bought 4 links of beef sausage - $2.70 (dunno whether nice or not though)
One slab of Pork Belly – $7.20

SO, i decided to make stewed pork that i really love today! I had to call my mum and dad to ask them about the recipe.

It was delicious!

DSC01465
This is very much a very simple recipe which you can alter as much as you like – which is why i didn’t measure anything…hehe

  

Step 1: Scrap the skin with the blade of a knife and pluck any remaining hairs
DSC01437

Step 2: Using 5 spice powder, rub it all over the pork – like a dry rub.
Step 3: Place the pork in the pot.

DSC01445Step 4: With the pork, add crushed garlic, ginger and star anise. I added around 11 cloves of garlic, 1/4 garlic and 3 edges of a star anise.

Step 5: Add good dark soy sauce.

 DSC01451 
I should have sliced the pork into half for easier manageability. =)

Step 6: Marinate the pork ( in my case, i had to turn it frequently to get all sides). I think i marinated it for around 45 mins to 1 hour.

Step 7: Add enough water to cover the pork. Boil for around 30 minutes till the pork cooks before you try the sauce to see its saltiness and flavour. I added 2 more cloves of garlic. When it boils down, add more water if it is too salty.

Step 8: I simmer the whole mixture for around 2 hours. The fats and meat tasted really good and was really tender. However, the flavour didn’t penetrate totally.

DSC01463

Anyways, we ate half of the pork and will eat the other half tomorrow – in which by then the flavour should have totally penetrated.

Also, this is such a versatile dish. I added firm tofu which should be cooked for quite some time as well so that the flavour gets into it.

I wanted to add hard boiled eggs as well, but we ran out of eggs. So, tomorrow i will go buy eggs and add it into the mixture!

I hope you guys try making this for yourself or family – its really simple and tastes really really good! Remember that garlic is a really important flavour in this dish – so don’t be stingy about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment